Wednesday, October 8, 2008

"I saw nothing". "I said nothing". Gary Crew. Thylacine. Paradise Parrot. Extinction. 23 birds. 4 frogs. 27 mammals

"I saw nothing" and "I said nothing" are the titles of two children story books by the multi award winning author Gary Crew. The former talks of the experience of a young girl with regard to last thylacine (popularly known as tiger wolf). The Thylacine was a marsupial and an apex predator which became extinct in mid 1930s as the last of its kind died in Hobart Zoo. "I said nothing" is a version of a young boy about a Paradise Parrot which was considered to be the last of the species. This Parrot was seen last in 1927 according to the story. In giving a complete list of Australian vertebrate extinctions from 1788 to the present, Wikipedia says "There are 23 birds, 4 frogs, and 27 mammal species known to have become extinct since European settlement of Australia".




No comments: